Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

Fireworks and Bald Eagles

Until today, we have had some really nice, warm weather here in SE Virginia. My 3 yr old daughter and I have enjoyed being out in it over the last couple of weekends, doing various chores around the house. While outside, we noticed that the Bluebirds (Eastern) have been more active and a pair has already began to investigate one of the nesting boxes I have out. We also saw some large flocks of blackbirds (mostly redwings and grackles) landing in the nearby fields. My daughter enjoys watching the large flocks fly up and across the sky - she calls them "firework birds" because when they scatter across the sky she says it’s like fireworks exploding. Works for me; whatever can gain and keep her interest in birds.



I didn’t manage to get any photos while witnessing all the birding activity but I did manage to get a quick snapshot off of a Bald Eagle that was soaring very high. I first saw him while kicking the soccer ball with my daughter in our front yard and quickly ran inside to snap off some photos (at the time, my daughter thought I was going nuts!). It’s not a very good photo but you can get the idea of what I witnessed.



This is the second year in a row that I have seen Bald Eagles nearby. I must mention that there are a couple of lakes in the area. I’m thinking that they must have a nesting site somewhere along the lake.

No comments: