Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Special Guest

Last week I had a special visitor at the feeder - a Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I have seen Rose-breasted Grosbeaks before but haven't had the pleasure of hosting one at my feeding station. He seemed to be favoring the safflower seed above anything else.

IMG_0948

I was curious to see the breeding range for these birds. The map below (from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology) shows the summer, winter and breeding range of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I'm in the migration route here in my part of VA.

Map

.

..looks like he was just passing through on his way up north. He hung around for a few days before leaving.

Click here to listen to their sound:

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Call

 

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in South-Western lower Michigan. I've had a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak feeding for at least the last six weeks. I serve only safflower and nijer seed at my feeders during the summer. It keeps the grackles away.